When a potential buyer enters your home, they want to see themselves living in the house. Therefore, when you place your home on the market, you have to think of it like any other product for sale.
Unfortunately, this means removing many things that reflect you and your personality, such as family photos, knickknacks, or other piles of stuff. No, you don’t have to completely empty your home.
However, you will have to make it look like anyone could live there. Unless your personal style is minimalist, there is a very good chance you will need staging. When we buy a house, we place a lot of work into making it our home. It is sometimes heartbreaking to hear that your paint choices and decor needs replacement. That said, think about it along the same lines as buying a used car. You likely would not even look at a buying a used vehicle before the dealer did a maintenance check, cleaned it, fixed any dings, and made it all shiny.
A potential home buyer expects the same thing. With this in mind, here are some room-by-room staging tips that will help sell your home.
Room-by-Room Staging Tips
- Take all the clutter off the counters and store away any small appliances.
- Clean your major appliances and try to make them look new.
- Update any worn cabinet and drawer hardware.
- Remove most of the knickknacks on selves and pack them away
- Remove family photos from the walls and replace with generic artwork.
- Replace any old switches, curtain rods, or other things in need of repair.
- Get rid of extra or mismatched furniture.
- Get rid of all shampoo bottles, toothpaste tubes, used soap, and start living out of a toiletries bag.
- People will look in your medicine cabinet. Clean it out.
- Replace any outdated hardware, including the toilet paper holder.
- Clean it like you were cleaning a hospital room.
- Pack away extra clothes, and use the “three finger rule” between hangers in the closet.
- Use clean, new bed linens. Make the bedroom look like a hotel room.
- Repair or replace carpets as needed.
If you would like even more room-by-room staging tips, or to discuss a related topic, please contact us.
Latest posts by Diane Holm (see all)
- How to Spruce Up Your Landscape - April 30, 2018
- Why This Is a Great Time to Put Your House on the Market - April 2, 2018
- Spring Trends in Furniture and Accessories - February 28, 2018